Race Team: New Recruits Wanted (Please read all requirements before entering)
SALTWALK is essentially a social club that loves racing. We are looking for people who live in the Derbyshire area to join our stand up paddle board race team. All equipment is supplied by us and no stand up paddle board experience is required. A good basic level of fitness would be an advantage. Details on the type of racing are below. Our only requirements being that you live in the Derbyshire area, are willing to train regularly and are available to enter 6 races in 2018 (Dates and locations below).
If you already have a Naish One and want to train and race with SALTWALK this year, please let us know.
Why join the race, team?
Apart from being part of a kick-ass club that tours the country racing and having stupid amounts of fun, you will receive the following benefits:
- Be part of a bonkers race team and enjoy our fun laidback approach to racing. Good times are mandatory and podiums are a bonus
- Heavily discounted or free race coaching at specific race team training sessions
- The option to purchase club kit at the end of the season at Race Team Prices
What is Naish One Design Racing?
The boards we use are Naish One design race boards and we race in N1SCO one design race series. As the name suggests, everyone is on the same design of board which encourages good technique and fitness instead of gains through expensive equipment choice. In our opinion it is the purest and most fun way to race and breeds a friendly culture of competition, is very welcoming and fun and has a comradery that you don’t see as much in the open classes.
Whilst N1SCO racing is aimed at beginners, the racing is still very competitive. NISCO competitions include medium distance paddle races (2-5kms) but also add new and faster disciplines that are exciting to watch and compete in and are easy to understand and follow.
What will we ask of you in return?
To secure a place on the race team you must meet the following criteria which will be reviewed annually and may be subject to change.
- You Join the club. Annual membership is £45 and will help us to replace damaged equipment. This membership means you will be able to hire a board for training for £5 per hour.
- Enter the minimum number of races per year from the list below (Failure to do so just means that you will have to pay for training. You will not be publicly flogged)
- Support the beginner sessions when you are available (We will develop people who want to work as assistant instructors as a full instructor and help with funding)
- Book your race team session equipment using the online system (This is critical to ensure we capture numbers for grant applications and you can reserve equipment)
- Promote the clubs activities on social media in a positive manner and help us to attract new paddlers (This is critical to help us pay for new or replace damaged kit).
- Read the club documents in the Docs section of the website and comply with all club procedures
You must be able to enter 2 out of 3 remaining dates:
N1SCO - One Design Race Series (5km,2km & Sprints).
19th May Emsworth 16th-17th June – Swanage, Dorset
- 7th July – APP World Tour London
And you must be able to enter any 3 of these 5 dates:
UK SUP National Series
28th April - Batte of the Thames (London - 10km) 6th May - Cardiff (Approx. 10km)
- 9th June - National Watersports Festival (Rutland - 10km)
- 23th Sept - Suffolk SUP Nationals (Super Lap & Sprints)
- 21st Oct - Central SUP Nationals (Approx. 7-10km)
Current Race Team Members and Race Attendances (If you are ill or injured for an event you will get a pass)